It takes 200 hours of training to become a certified yoga teacher.
So, what spurs me to undertake such a journey?
After discovering my passion for yoga, I dabbled around in various yoga classes. One fateful day at the gym, I injured my elbow in yoga class. Thankfully, it was a minor hyper-extension, but the pain prevented me from fully engaging in physical activity for a week. I felt utterly bitter at the instructor for not correcting my postures in class. Although I knew the importance of proper alignment, I still needed guidance with my poses.
I realized that without safe execution of poses, one cannot truly reap the benefits of his yoga practice. To me, a good yoga instructor comes off their mat, walks around watchfully, and adjusts postures when necessary. Too many yoga teachers whom I’ve taken classes do not do so.
In the midst of moaning about my hurt elbow and feeling resentment towards that yoga instructor, I thought to myself that if I were a yoga teacher, I would not allow this to happen to my students. I’d put safety as a priority so other yogis could avoid my fate. Hmmm, but this was my fate. And there it was- my bright and shiny epiphany!
I decided that I would train to become a great yoga teacher, one who shows people that with safe practice, yoga has endless goodness to offer. I want to become an instructor to help yogis reap the maximum benefits of their practice.
200 hours?- not so daunting anymore. It's my time to deeply engage with yoga on a new level. 200 hours of intense learning. 200 hours to becoming a better me. It’s my 200 Hours To Greatness.
Alas, the journey is never an easy journey. There will be days I feel I'm flying on the mat, but I also expect burnout days when I feel stretched (no pun intended) beyond my limit. Through the sticky times, I just need to remain confident that with hard work and determination, I can and will achieve my goal to become the greatest yoga teacher I can be.
I am so excited to pursue one of my greatest passions in life.
Let this blog post be a reminder of the new-found zeal that is propelling me forward.